Thursday, December 31, 2009
- How to be married (and thoroughly enjoying the process)
- How to cook amazing food
- How to drive an automatic car (shut up, it took some getting used to compared to manual!)
- How to create something other than stuffed animals ;)
2009 has been the year for things breaking:
- Plates, glasses & mugs that we received as wedding/engagement gifts
- The solar hot water system
- The oven
- Chris's Rav 4
- My Hyundai Excel
2009 has been the year for things being great:
- Dinner parties & entertaining at our house
- Adding 2 puppies to our family
- Loving my besties EVEN MORE than I did a year ago
- Our trip to California
- Finding total joy in silly little things!!
2009 has been the year for things sucking:
- Being pitifully broke for almost the entire 2nd half of the year
- Our (in)ability to keep up with the housework (especially the dishes!)
- Losing my Grandad
- Leaving the best work environment ever (the Mounties Church office) after 3.5 years
2009 has been the year for dreaming:
- 1,000 ideas to improve our house
- How to spend all that money we'll be earning some day ;)
- Wanting more than anything to be a house wife while Chris earns the bucks
- Running a successful Etsy store
So far, this is what I know 2010 will bring:
- The Kitchen Renovation (starting this Saturday! Eeeek!)
- Big life decisions to be made
- Some kind of struggle
- Some really great things
- More broken stuff (possibly more expensive broken stuff, realistically)
- More lessons to be learnt
- More dreams to be had
Going into a new year does make me nervous, because you really don't know what's coming, what you'll be reflecting on at the end of it. Hopefully mostly good stuff. Hopefully minimal heartbreak. Either way, it's going to happen. So 2010, here we come. Treat us well, OK?
Wednesday, November 4, 2009
So, here I am, with a list of what Mrs. D has been doing lately..!
1) Falling in love with like 100 new blogs... it's an obsession, really!
2) Washing dishes. The eternal chore.
3) Looking for a new job
4) Experiencing the very worst money-woes ever experienced by me, to date!
6) Looking forward to the wedding of the year... 9 days until my sweet bestie walks down the aisle!!
7) Developing opinions I would be happier without
8) Being amazed at the fact that our little boys (AKA Dog & Cupcake) will be turning ONE YEAR OLD soon!
9) Desperately looking forward to our anniversary, and trip to Margaret River
10) Holding out excitedly for Christmas
11) Not cleaning the bird cage (sorry Rocky and Orlando! This weekend I swear!)
12) Eating cheese and crackers (currently!)
13) Wishing I could study some more in music :(
14) Growing some serious roots where my blonde high-lights are/were
15) Thinking "I really must get back on my blog"
So wow. What an informatively boring post! But hey, at least you know I haven't given up all blogging habits. And I'll really try to come back, very very soon.
My tip of the day? Go check out Summer Teeth. So so beautiful...
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
I'm basing this certainty on my previously posted about love of these two guys:
Oh gosh. What am I to do????????
Monday, June 29, 2009
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
- Freshly baked cakes that turn out dry are annoying. Especially a) when they're your self-assigned 'signature cake' or b) when they're really really tricky and take hours to make
- Cloud pins can go with virtually anything
- Chilli con carne is love love love. Us crazy Donovans almost made it twice in one week, it's so good!
- My Little Pony is back in my heart
- I think we need a real-deal coffee machine. Mmmm...
- Lots of people are having babies. I'm sort of jealous and sort of not.
- I made my first ever mashed potatoes tonight, and they were onion-y and great
- Cold cold cold cold cold cold cold!!!!!
- I wonder what I will be when I grow up?
- I love Picnik. I now want to go out on a photoshoot so that I can impress people with my mad editing skills.
- Puppy growling sounds so silly!
- Pretty fabrics...!
- I need to add some new recipes to my repertoire.
- Long days are so long
- I don't feel like icecream right now
- We say grace at dinner now :)
- I wonder if we're all going to get swine flu eventually?
Friday, May 29, 2009
Chris spent a good chunk of Friday on the phone to various solar HWS companies, receiving quotes and such. The verdict? We need to replace the whole darn system. The cost? $2,000 (better than the $3,060 we were originally quoted by a different company, but still... ouch.)
So today, with husband off at camp, and a little time to myself, I've decided to take it easy. The most strenuous thing I plan to do is bake a cake. I'm taking a day of Sega-playing, DVD-watching and Twilight-reading, and the only real interruption will be when I head to my parents' for a much-needed shower. What a joyful break :)
So, I'm banishing myself from the computer, the craft table, and taking an entirely selfish day to relax in whichever way I please.
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Here's the final set-up stages, just before 9am:
Penny is posing with my bunny there, and Kirstin's doing stuff in the background.
A close-up of the middle section, MY section:
Saturday, May 23, 2009
I spent 9 big hours solely creating these cloud pins yesterday:
I came out with 32 of them by the end of the day... 4 of each colour. And I pretty much never want to make another one again!! ;)
My main joy these days is creating these flowery posie brooches. Lately I've been adding a petally edge to some of them, and I'm finding it so hard convincing myself to sell these! I've showed great restraint and only kept one... I'm just so nuts about the colours, and I'm sort of hoping that all my favourites are bought by people I know! Keeping them close... yep, I'm a sucker.
But anyway, here's my little tiered display of brooches, all ready for market tomorrow:
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
I wonder what makes someone decide to keep their favourites a secret?
That's my thought for the day ;)
Saturday, May 2, 2009
These are my new cloud pins! I had a lot of fun creating all these, and as you can see they come in 8 wonderful colours!!!
And seeing as clouds were on my mind so much, out came this new notecard set too! (the colours are so much brighter in real life, my bad photography makes me sad!) The set comes with 4 different designs, 2 of each design, for a total of 8 note cards in a pack! They're just printed on paper, as opposed to card. I'm still considering making the switch to a light-weight card though. Thoughts??
Also on the note-card front is another set (my personal favourite)... the fat bird note-card set!!
Aren't they cute?? I really enjoy the colours, and the fat-ness of the little birds. This set will be in the shop soon... I just have make sure I get my printing right with these, as so far I've failed a little...
Finally, some new brooches are filling my basket of creations (I actually have a basket filled with the stuff I make, I'm not just saying that in a figurative way...)
These are a little bit different... I'm really happy with the direction the posie brooches are heading these days :) A bit of tulle, a petal-istic scalloped edge, extra layers... the newest posie brooches are definitely developing more and more!
Sadly though, you won't be seeing these in the Etsy shop. I've got a craft fair at the end of the month, and I'm busily preparing. In fact, I guess I won't be listing many new products at all until after the craft fair :( But it'll be worth it. And what's left after the fair will of course go straight into the shop. So yay!
In other news, I'm 'working on an assignment' today. It's been the least productive day ever. Other than grocery shopping, laundry, and dish-washing, I'm ashamed to say I've done nothing. Not one word of my 2000 word essay. No craft. I've been procrastinating on the assignment by browsing the net. *Sigh*. What a waste!!
Monday, April 27, 2009
- Puppies are so adorable, so crazy, so funny... and sometimes just soooo annoying!
- Butter cream frosting is almost too sweet
- It is WONDERFUL to have my husband back on Parmelia soil... even if he's been asleep pretty much since getting home!
- Sister sleep-overs are good stuff
- Choc-chip pancakes are also good stuff
- Cakes that take 1-1.5 hours to bake? What is that???
- Weekend time travels way, way too quickly
- People can be very creative in the ways that they wear their scarves, although I think that a scarf worn as a (rather bulky) G-string is just too much!!
- Sometimes you HAVE TO have McDonalds for lunch. It's the law.
- My sisters' shower kicks the butt outta my shower. Heavenly!
- I need to pick up my feet and start working on the house & garden again
- Elsie has the same colour in her kitchen that I will have, as soon as I get round to buying the paint
- With this recession, we might be living in this house for a long, long time. And apart from the things we need to fix up, I'm OK with this (but I can't wait to someday build our own place)
- Gossip Girl is OK. The clothes are the best bit.
- This is my first post in a while without a picture. And I am sort of accepting of that.
- Chilli con carne is fast becoming my favourite dinner ever! Bring it on... tonight! Yum!
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
The item to sell was this tan posie brooch:
I am so so pleased. It's nice to sell a brooch, because I soooo love making them!!
And the lovely girl who bought it made a rather flattering blog post about me too :)
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Unfortunately I made one teeny mistake, and am therefore offering this brooch at a discounted price. Basically, I sewed the back layer on, forgetting that I had not sewn on the quilting fabric layer yet. So the front looks perfect, but the back is covered with ugly stitching. No one will know except the person wearing it at least :)
5. My puppies are the cutest in town.
We had a photo shoot this morning, so I have evidence:
That's all for today. I have the next 2 weeks off uni, so am planning on treasuring my Mondays like never before, and really using the time to get busy creating (and ummm... maybe doing a few things around the house. Maybe??)
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Thursday, March 12, 2009
I guess he has a somewhat artistic charm about him...? But my husband snickered when he saw the finished product.
It reminded me of the time I had a terrible haircut, ran to him at work with tears in my eyes and wailed "They gave me a mullet!" and he responded with a laugh and said "Oh wow. They did!"
Basically I'm looking forward to take #2 of the panda project... *sigh*
Friday, February 20, 2009
That's all for now. I have a floor to sweep and a good-looking husband to cook dinner for!
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Background: when I was 11 years old, I made an online friend called Latisha. We met through a now non-existant website created by the people who made our then-favouritest game ever, Dogz3 (you had pet dogs on your computer). We swapped dogs or something, and then BAM! Email pen-pals for YEARS. We talked about everything - especially boys. She was a Christian, and a few years into our friendship, I became a Christian too, so we had that in common. We even spoke on the phone a few times. Eventually, we somehow lost each others' email addresses, and that was that.
In 2007, on a whim, I looked Latisha up on Myspace - and found her! It was so cool re-connecting, but we were different people, busier, with a lot more friends, and we didn't really stay in touch other than the odd update. She told me last year that she was getting married, and I thought, cool.
Today she added me as a friend on Facebook, and I just had a "nawwwww" moment!
I found it amazing that 2 girls who met 12 years ago online, who had so much in common, who went through many ups and downs around the same time, can re-connect and discover even more similarities... to the point where they even get married in the same month!! Yep, Latisha got married December 31, 2008, just 25 days after me. Cool stuff.
Moment over. Written down it's not as cool as what's in my head but meh. My blog, my rules.
Saturday, January 31, 2009
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Yes, that is Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs sitting comfortably in the eye of a needle. Yes, it is real. No biggie.
Yes, that is Peter Pan, Wendy, Tinkerball & a couple of lost boys perched easily on a fishing hook. Pfft.
Friday, January 23, 2009
This is some contained junk. Well, not really junk - pencils and paintbrushes and stuff are way important, but they look messy, so this is my little area for clutter!
So, that's my life at the moment. I'm excited about the idea of getting my Etsy shop back up and running... in fact, I think I'll go do that now!!!! Adieu!
Friday, January 16, 2009
Sign-up can be found in a number of places... Rachel Denbow's blog, Elsie Flannigan's blog, or the Red Velvet Art blog. I wouldn't recommend going through Elsie's blog because it seems to be a dead link - freaked me out for a moment but some gem in the comments section informed us of the alternatives!! Whew!!!
I'm soooo excited!! If anything, it just gives me a hardcore chance at really getting back into my craft!! Plus, I'll definitely learn new things - the list of 30 projects looks like so much fun!!
In honour of my registration (and hefty USD$60 fee... ouch!) I've started tidying up my craft area, readily awaiting February 15th - Kat and Andrew's engagement party!! ;) Also, that happens to be the starting date of class, but I DO have my priorities straight!!!
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
2pm yesterday: I decided I still had the whole day ahead of me, and worked a little too thoroughly
3pm yesterday: I got to the end of a marathon run of form-writing, query following up, cheque signing, general accounting and stuff with my poor boss (who is technically on leave but had to come in for me)
4pm yesterday: I freaked out, realising just how much work I still had for the day
5pm yesterday: I was at work, madly trying to finish data entry (I did, 15 minutes late...)
6pm last night: I was in a car with Kat & Hatti, wondering what surprise-ful place we were going for dinner
7pm last night: I was eating bruschetta at Paradiso in Attadale (soon to be followed by some mouth-watering home-made pasta...!!)
8pm last night: I was at Gelare for half-price waffle-night with my ladies :) We were making big plans. MP3 this year is going to be OFF THE CHARTS!!
9pm last night: Still at Gelare, having recently unwrapped a particularly cool birthday present from the girls (A kikki k recipe folder... so cute! And perfect! Now my bridal shower recipes shall have a nice, big, comfy home!)
10pm last night: Kat drove me home, and of course we got chatting about all things fun, and I properly met her cool friend Lexie. Good work.
11pm last night: I came home to discover that the prickly plants which once hindered my lifestyle at home, had been lovingly ripped up by my GORGEOUS husband!
12am today: I turned 23!!
1am today: Thankfully I was asleep by this stage!!
6.30am today: Serious snuggle-time with the husband, to the detriment of my getting-ready time! (But so worth it!)
7.30am today: I was washing my hair. Birthday girls have to look and smell their best!
8.30am today: I left for work, hair freshly blow-dried, feeling chipper.
9.30am today: I got to work, seething (but still with good hair). Yep, exactly one hour after departing on what I thought would be my usual half-hour trip. Roadworks suck balls, and there was way too many of them on my trip to work today. Thankfully, Mum was waiting for me at work, McMuffins and a frappe in hand. Yum!!!
10.30am today: I was following up some emails and queries. Nothing major.
11.30am today: I realised I had an hour till lunch :) So soon!!!
12pm today: I found out that an article I'm writing about my lovely friend Kirstin is going to be published not in our internal church newspaper (which has just been put on hold), but in the state-wide BAPTIST ADVOCATE!! So happy for her!!
12.30pm today: I headed out for yummy lunch with Mum, Dad and Steph. Groovin'!!
Currently: I am looking forward to Mexican for dinnerrrrrr!! Yes!!
Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Sunday, January 4, 2009
I want to start by making a confession. Do you know why I don't blog very regularly? It's because I hate the way my blogs look without a picture!! And I'm too lazy to put my pictures on the freakin' computer and upload them to my blog. So now you know my dirty secret...
Now that's off my chest - WELCOME TO 2009!! (Yes, it's been 2009 for 5 days now. And I've been enjoying my last few days of freedom before returning to work, so meh!!
The only pictures I could share with you are from this last weekend (the one above is my sister. We had lots of fun with Steph's underwater camera!!). Please expect to see these pictures interspersed throughout my dialogue, for no reason other than to provide extra visual stimulation.
Without further ado, I present my (in theory) goals for 2009 (New Years Resolutions are so tacky. This year I will just set goals. So different.)
1. To read at least 1 book per month
2. To save enough for a new bathroom
3. To have a set collection of work clothes
4. To plan our weekly dinners each Friday, and do the grocery shopping the next day
5. To create and stick to a budget
6. To prepare our house for a puppy
7. To go to church, Salt & Clarity with regularity again
8. To not lose touch with my friends (and prove that married people can still keep up with the rest of the world!!)
9. To be wayyyy more creative, and explore new things to try
10. To be the best damn wife out there!!!!
11. To make time to do with things with my family members
12. To make my hair great
13. To take more photos... of everything! (Using the sexy new camera I got from my sexy new husband for Christmas)
14. To have many friends over for dinner (1-2 at a time though!!)
15. To settle into my suburb (not fit in. I don't want to turn into a bogan!!) and get to know some of our neighbours
16. To convince Kat and Andrew to buy much, much closer to me than Canning Vale ;) (Probably won't happen, but a best friend can dream...?)
17. To make my life at work 1,000,000 times easier by keeping uber-organised!
So that's my list. Currently I'm at work hanging out for some lunch, and wishing I could've snuggled with my man for an extra hour before he went to work this morning. But such is life. You need to leave by 6.45 when it takes 1.5 hours to train & bus it to work :( Poor boy!!