Monday, September 29, 2008

The Dream Team...

OK, so I swear the intention of this blog is to keep giving out updates on my life of art & craft... but at the moment, sadly, I haven't made time for much art & craft at all!!! What I HAVE been spending PLENTY of time on is... *drumroll*... our house! (Big surprise there...)

I've been yearning to get started with the big paint job (we eventually want to do every wall in the house, eek!!) and finally today we got started... with a HUGE amount of support and effort from some very cool cats. I warned them that I'd be blogging about them, so here you go...

How could I list anyone else before I list my wonderful Mum??? Not only did she pick up AND pay for pizzas for the whole crew, she also set herself about the kitchen, cleaning dirty shelves and washing all the kitchen-y bits and pieces we got for our engagement party!!!! I now have a fully-stocked glass & mug cupboard (it looks so so SO good, I meant to take a pic but I forgot...) and there are cookie sheets, muffin pans, baking trays and all kinds of goodies drying off around the room (we don't currently have clean tea-towels, oops!!) However, I do believe her finest achievement of the day was the magic she worked on our little saucepan. Chris decided to cook chilli for breakfast with one of our new saucepans, and on its maiden voyage of good cookin', the little thing was left on the stove to boil, and forgotten once people started to arrive. There was smoke, a slight burnt taste throughout the chilli, and a very black, ruined saucepan at the end! Mum spent a good part of the afternoon boiling water in it, scrubbing it, and even taking it home and treating it with stainless steel cleaner of some description... and what we have left is a just-like-new little saucepan which I probably would have thrown out, had my Mum not shown me what to do... Yay Mum!!!

Member #2 of the Dream Team would be my sister Nahn, who copped more paint than anybody else in the whole house... for some reason we just can't seem to grow out of the thrill of wiping a big wet paintbrush down someone's leg/arm/back/neck/toenail... and poor old Nahn was so covered in paint by the end!! We'll call the pic above a "progress pic"...


Ahhh, little sister Steph. This dedicated year-12-munchkin came over straight from a maths revision course to help us out... wearing only jeans, a singlet and a recent camp jumper. Oh dear!! Fortunately, with a little encouragement from the rest of us, she was able to don a spare T-shirt that Chris had brought... and therefore it didn't matter how messy she got!! Ironically, all the paint ended up on her nice dark jeans anyway, and not a speck on the shirt as far as I know... Steph also gets props because although she arrived late, she went through the clean-up process with us!! (We were scrubbing & mopping paint off the floor for a good while)

Good ol' Mac (who's Nahn's boyfriend) showed up with Nahn not too long into the day. It should be noted that Nahn and Mac are about the most willing, helpful, wonderful people. I'm pretty sure they've helped us with every step of this big process - whether it's been coming with us to pick up obscure pieces of furniture and appliances from various houses, putting in a huge amount of effort towards our engagement party, painting, all kinds of things!! Mac even tried his hand at contacting shelves today, and he did a damn good job - even taking on the most horrible, cramped little corner cupboard which I'm pretty sure no one else would've volunteered for in a million years. Of course, he also painted up a storm and even contributed some of his Dad's brushes and rollers to the cause.

Brad here was the first to arrive and got straight into it - he got to do fun things like applying masking tape to alllll the skirting boards & powerpoints, as well as applying a sealant around the cracks around the ceiling and windows, before painting could even commence. He was also one of the last to leave, so you can be sure he worked damn hard, and even gave us the impression he was enjoying himself!!!

Miss Kat put in a TON of elbow-grease, committing herself to ensuring that by the time she left, every shelf and drawer in the house WOULD BE CONTACTED!! The poor chicken didn't even get a chance to drag a brush across the wall, she was so committed to her contacting job. She did amazingly. And it's thanks to her huge efforts that I can now use any cupboard/shelf/drawer I want to, whenever I darn-well feel like it!! She even cleaned the cupboards out as well as she could (chipboard is horrible, horrible stuff). Damn thorough job, she did!

I just had to end with Pottsey, so that I could finish this post with that fab picture!!!! Although it looks as though he doesn't know what to do with a paint brush (it's white and drips... it must be something that slightly resembles icecream, surely!!), he actually stole the show as the painting master today. He knows stuff about painting, which we're so grateful for because we've never done it in our lives!!! So, hooray for Pottsey!! Also, he made a notable joke about a lemon today. I didn't say it was a good joke, I said it was notable ;)

The very much honourable mention goes to my Dad. I didn't think to take a picture when he was working yesterday, but the last couple of times he's been over he's replaced every powerpoint in the house, changing them all from 1-switch to 2-switch plates. Yay!! I don't know why anyone would opt for 1-switch in the first place, but whoever built the house obviously did. Luckily, my electrician Dad was able to save the day and set things right :) Yay!!!!

CJ also popped by today, and I didn't manage to get a pic of him but he helped us with some painting in the afternoon! Plus, he brought a large amount of food with him! Yay!

Amazingly, Chris and I managed to evade my camera so I have nothing to show of us in all our painted glory. All I can say is that after Nahn, I was probably the most painted person in the house. I had paint alllll over my feet, from sitting on the drop cloth... Also, both arms were covered and I even got a bit in my hair! Ergh!

By the end of the day, we had primed the lounge room, main bedroom, and front entrance. Whew!!! Here's one pic I took of the primer on the walls:

That's the 'reading room' section in the lounge room (I'm kind of dividing the room into 2 sections with a couple of dangly curtains, which I'm so excited about!) Can't wait till we're ready to put colours on!!!

No comments: